MIDDLETON, MASS. – Due to snowy conditions, the Merrimack College men’s tennis team was not able to play outside for the first time this spring as originally scheduled, taking on the Saint Michael’s College Purple Knights at the Northeast Tennis Center for the Warriors first conference match of the spring. Merrimack came out triumphant, defeating the Purple Knights, 9-0, on Saturday afternoon.
Links: Box Score
Score: Merrimack 9 | Saint Michael’s 0
Records: Merrimack (3-5, 1-0 NE-10) | Saint Michael’s (0-4, 0-3 NE-10)
Location: Northeast Tennis Center | Middleton, Mass.
How It Happened
At doubles play, the Warriors immediately took control of the match by jumping out to a 3-0 advantage. Sophomore Steven Francis (Perth, Australia) and freshman Mikhail Belov (Krasnoarmeyskoy, Russia) played one of their best matches at No. 1, shutting out their opponents, 8-0. Captains Miguel Belfort (Caracas, Venezuela) and Vince Bellino (Amesbury, Mass.) won at No. 2, while sophomore Nick Majewski (Brewster, Mass.) and freshman Frank Vega (Lima, Peru) came out triumphant at No. 3.
Merrimack dominated singles play. Francis won at No. 1, 6-2 and 6-2. At No. 2-3, Belfort and Belov each won by the same score, 6-0 and 6-1. Bellino and Vega posted dominated victories at No. 4 and No. 5, shutting out their opponents, 6-0 and 6-0.
Sophomore Tayyab Sheikh (Longmeadow, Mass.) took the court at No. 6, winning the single-set match, 8-2.
1. Steven Francis/Mikhail Belov (MER) def. Billy Wood/Ben Lambert (STM) 8-0
2. Vince Bellino/Miguel Belfort (MER) def. Charlie Merry/Sam Laves (STM) 8-3
3. Frank Vega/Nick Majewski (MER) def. Hayden Steward/Tyler Lucey (STM) 8-2
1. Steven Francis (MER) def. Billy Wood (STM) 6-2, 6-2
2. Miguel Belfort (MER) def. Charlie Merry (STM) 6-0, 6-1
3. Mikhail Belov (MER) def. Sam Laves (STM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Vince Bellino (MER) def. Patrick Dietz (STM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Frank Vega (MER) def. Ben Lambert (STM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Tayyab Shiekh (MER) def. Hayden Steward (STM) 8-2
The Warriors are set to begin a four-game road swing on Wednesday afternoon in Rindge, N.H. against Franklin Pierce at 3 p.m.