It’s still early for teams to release 2014-15 schedules, but there are some things we do know will change with Merrimack’s schedule starting next season.
Connecticut joins Hockey East next season, expanding the league schedule from 20 to 22 games.
That means Merrimack, along with other teams in Hockey East, will have 12 non-league games to schedule. Here are some notes on what we know for next season:
– Merrimack will play two games at the Liberty Hockey Invitational in October at the Prudential Center in New Jersey. It’s believed the other teams in that tournament are Princeton, Yale and Connecticut.
– The Warriors will also play a pair of games at the Mariucci Classic in Minnesota over the holidays. The tournament is hosted by the University of Minnesota and will also feature two other teams. Merrimack last played in this tournament during the 2004-05 season, losing to Minnesota in the first round before beating Harvard in the third-place game.
– Yale is slated to make a return trip to Lawler Rink after Merrimack traveled there this past November.
– Merrimack is scheduled to make a return trip for two games at Mercyhurst.
– Clarkson is scheduled to make a return trip to Lawler Rink after Merrimack traveled there for two games this past January.
That makes nine expected non-league games already set, with room for three more on the schedule. Another possible opponent is Army, a regular opponent for the Warriors the past few seasons.