How They Scored
P1 (6:26) — Providence 1, Merrimack 0
Nick Saracino 11 (Brandon Tanev, Josh Monk), ev
Nick Saracino scores to put the Friars up 1-0 on a wraparound from behind Drew Vogler’s net. The goal was reviewed with Brian Pinho in the crease, but he wasn’t interfering with Vogler so the call on the ice stood.
P3 (3:06) — Providence 1, Merrimack 1
Craig Wyszomirski 2 (Brian Christie), ev
Craig Wyszomirski, a former Friar, with a blast from the left point gets through traffic and through Ellis to tie the score.
P3 (13:10) — Providence 2, Merrimack 1
Erik Foley 7 (Mark Jankowski, Tom Parisi), ev
After taking a feed from Calgary Flames first-round pick Mark Jankowski, Erik Foley, a third-round pick of the Winnipeg Jets, raced over the attacking blue line with good speed and snapped a shot that beat Vogler to give the Friars the lead back with 6:50 remaining in the game.
P3 (18:57) — Providence 3, Merrimack 1
Trevor Mingoia 14 (Mark Jankowski, Tom Parisi), en
Mingoia adds an empty-netter from just outside the blue line on the right side.
- Wyszomirski’s goal was just the second of his career and first since netting his first collegiate tally in a 3-3 tie at home on Nov. 14.
- Friday marked the first-ever meeting between the two teams in any round of the Hockey East Tournament.
- When dropping Game 1 of a Hockey East Tournament best-of-three series, Merrimack is 1-for-15 in those series (the first series win was last week’s Opening Round against UNH).
- The Friars improve to 22-0-4 when holding a lead after 40 minutes.
- Jankowski became the first Friar to record 40 points in a season since 2002-03 (Jon DiSalvatore, Devin Rask, Peter Fregoe)
Warrior Hockey Podcasts
The following podcasts were provided by Merrimack radio analyst Mike Machnik
Ed Note — Podcasts will be uploaded later tonight.