With a chance to finish the regular season with seven wins for the first time since 2009, the Merrimack College football wraps up the 2013 campaign with a Northeast-10 Conference Championship Weekend matchup against eighth-seeded Southern Connecticut State on Saturday afternoon at Martone-Mejail Field.
Date/Time: Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013 | 1 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (6-4) | Southern Conn. State (3-7)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
Last Time Out: Stonehill 26, Merrimack 24
Trailing by 12 with just over two minutes to go in the third quarter, Merrimack kept first-place Stonehill off the board through the remainder of regulation, but the Warriors’ potent offense could not come up with the late-game magic it would need, as a four-turnover afternoon sent Merrimack to a 26-14 setback at home against the first-place Skyhawks on Saturday afternoon at Martone-Mejail Field.
In what ultimately amounted to a gritty, defensive battle that saw both sides combine for seven turnovers altogether, Merrimack would get the ball back with just over two minutes to play in the third quarter staring at a 12-point deficit, but on their last four drives of the game, the Warriors would fumble, turn the ball over on downs consecutively, before one last fumble sealed the home side’s fate.
For the full recap from last Saturday, please click here.
Earlier This Season vs. SCSU
After mounting its own 90-yard drive that brought the Merrimack College football team to within six points of host Southern Connecticut State heading to the fourth quarter, the hosts capitalized on a 98-yard scoring drive late in the fourth quarter to send the Owls to a 40-34 victory over the Warriors in a Northeast-10 Conference showdown on Friday night at Jess Dow Field.
After both sides matched touchdown for touchdown in the first half and entered the intermission all squared up at 21-21, Southern Connecticut went ahead by 12 (33-21) thanks to back-to-back scoring drives in the third quarter to push the home side ahead.
Turning to the fourth quarter, each side had their opportunities, but both Southern Connecticut and Merrimack’s first drives of the final frame would result in punts.
For the full recap from Sept. 20, please click here!
- Rank second in the Northeast-10 averaging 39.5 points per game
- Boast the top passing offense (386.5 yards per game) and total offense (508.6 yards per game) in the league, as well
- Convert 3rd downs 49 percent of the time, the top conversion rate in the league
- Since starting season 1-2, have gone 4-2, highlighted by a three-game winning streak from mid-October to early November
- Are seeking the program’s 100th victory in school history, entering Saturday with a mark of 99-79 since the first varsity season of Merrimack football in 1996
- Southern Connecticut was off to a fast start in 2013, winning three of its first five games (3-2)
- Since then, the Owls have dropped five straight, entering Saturday 3-7 overall
- Fell to first-place AIC on the road last week, 33-14
- Rank sixth in total offense (390.1) and ninth in passing yards per game (188.2)
- Have dominated the ground game, ranking third in the NE-10 averaging 201.9 yards per game
- Fullback John Moscatel leads the league averaging 107 yards per game and has totaled 10 rushing scores through 10 games