NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College softball program split its first two games against Saint Michael’s Saturday, falling by a 4-3 score in game one before storming back for a 5-0 victory in game two. Senior pitcher Melanie Dealmeida went the distance in game two, fanning five and allowing just one hit in the shutout win.
Score: Game 1: Saint Michael’s 4, Merrimack 3 | Final
Score: Game 2: Merrimack 5, Saint Michael’s 0 | Final
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
Rapid Recap (Game One)
- Saint Michael’s struck in the bottom of the first, putting one run on the board. Torie Rathwell hit her second homer of the season to dead center, giving the Purple Knights a 1-0 lead.
- The Warriors tied the game in the top of the third inning. With runners on second and third, senior Hannah Johnson ripped a ball off the glove of pitcher Torie Rathwell; she was thrown out at first, but the runner from third scored, leveling the game at one run apiece.
- Merrimack took the lead in the top of the fourth inning. After a Caitlin McBride single, Nicole Nanof drove a ball to deep center; a fielding error allowed for runners to be on second and third. An RBI single from Jen Hutnyan made it 2-1, and an RBI groundout from Emily Kurkul made it 3-1.
- Saint Michael’s cut back into the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning. An RBI double from Rathwell with a runner on second cut the lead back to one run. Then, with two on and two outs, a bases-clearing triple form Aleksandra Apkarian made it 4-3.
Rapid Recap (Game Two)
- After two scoreless innings, Merrimack’s offense came alive. Sophomore Abby Amato blasted her first homer of the season off the scoreboard to make it 1-0. Then, with two on, senior Caitlin McBride ripped a single into left field, scoring two more.
- The Warriors tacked on another in the top of the fourth. Nanof walked and stole two bases before Amato’s RBI groundout made it 4-0.
- Another run touched the plate in the top of the fifth. Sophomore Lucy Collarusso singled, and after back-to-back fielder’s choice outs, senior Kristina Terrazzano singled and scored the game’s fifth run.
Notes and Numbers
- Game 1: WP – Torie Rathwell (2-8) | LP – Jenna Wike (4-4)
- Rathwell’s line: (7 IP, 3 H, 7 R, 1 BB, 4 K)
- Game 2: WP Melanie Dealmeida – (1-1)| LP – Molly Feeney (0-3)
- Dealmeida’s line: ( 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K)
The Warriors are back in action tomorrow morning, taking on Saint Michael’s at 9 a.m.