MANCHESTER, N.H. – After fighting back to tie the game in the top of the seventh, the Merrimack College softball program dropped its Northeast-10 Conference Quarterfinal matchup to New Haven after the Chargers tacked on a decisive run in the bottom of the seventh to take the contest by a 4-3 ledger. The Warriors trailed by a run headed into the final frame and were able to tie the score before giving up a home run to end the game.
Score: New Haven 4, Merrimack 3
Location: Marucci Field | Manchester, N.H.
- Merrimack lit the scoreboard in the top of the first. After a quick out to start the inning, senior Hannah Johnson singled through the infield and took second on a pass ball. Sophomore Abigail Amato tagged a ball that two-hopped the right field fence, giving the Warriors the game’s first run.
- Johnson’s second at-bat was even better than the first, driving a ball into the left-center gap to get the third inning rolling. After stealing second, classmate Caitlin McBride pulled a ball down the left field line, scoring Johnson for the second time and doubling the lead.
- New Haven capitalized on an infield error with two on in the bottom of the fourth inning. With runners on first and second, Rachel Crafts grounded a ball to the left side of the infield; the ball was overthrown – but stayed in play – allowing two runners to score and put Crafts on third. A sacrifice fly gave the Chargers its third run of the inning before Merrimack got out of it.
- It took until the top of the seventh, but the Warriors fought back into the contest. Junior Tiffany Mangiameli singled and stole second before Johnson’s grounded got her to third. Then, Amato roped a ball down the left field line, scoring the tying run.
- Venessa Strohm ended the ball game in the bottom of the seventh inning. On the first pitch of the frame, she delivered a walk-off home run, depositing the game-winner over the left field fence and advancing the Chargers to the NE10 Semifinal.
Notes and Numbers
- WP – Mia Iodice (10-5) | LP – Jenna Wike (8-6)
- Iodice’s Line: (4.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 4 K)