NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College softball program split Saturday’s doubleheader with Saint Rose, winning game one in exciting fashion before falling 2-1 in game number two.
Saturday’s non-divisional doubleheader saw a pitcher’s duel in each game. It took a seven-inning effort from freshman pitcher Bryana Michitson in game one, who had to get out of a bases-load, no-out jam in the top of the seventh for the Warriors to take the opener. In the nightcap, Saint Rose starter Kylee Warner saw her no-hit bid get broken up in the bottom of the sixth, but gave up just one run in the complete-game win.
Score: Game 1: Merrimack 2, Saint Rose 1| Final
Score: Game 2: Saint Rose 2, Merrimack 1 | Final
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
Rapid Recap (Game One)
- Merrimack struck first in the bottom of the first inning. Tiffany Mangiameli singled and advanced to second on a perfectly placed sacrifice bunt from senior Hannah Johnson. After she stole third, a passed ball allowed her to take home, scoring the first run of the day.
- Johnson got the Warriors on the board in the bottom of the third inning, doubling the lead. Mangiameli singled to start the inning and took second before the Johnson found a gap in right field, scoring Mangiameli for the game’s second run.
- Saint Rose made it interesting in the top of the seventh inning. The Golden Knights loaded the bases with no outs, and squeaked a run across on an error behind the plate. With the score 2-1, starter Bryana Michitson got out of the jam and picked up her second win of the season.
Rapid Recap (Game Two)
- The Golden Knights struck first in game two, but it took until the third inning before either team scored. Astasia Myler singled to right-center field, scoring Sam LaBarbara from second to give the visitors a 1-0 advantage.
- Saint Rose struck again one inning later. After a leadoff triple from Beth Jones, a sacrifice fly off the bat of Alissa Folts gave Merrimack its second run.
- The Warriors tallied its first hit with two outs in the bottom of the sixth. After Mangiameli was hit by a pitch and stole second, Abby Amato doubled to left field and scored the first the Warriors run of the game.
Notes and Numbers
- Game 1: WP – Bryana Michitson (2-5) | LP – Sammi Allen (6-4)
Michitson’s line: (7 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 5 BB, 5 K)
- Game 2: WP Kylee Warner – (2-3)| LP – Melanie DeAlmeida (2-2)
- Warner’s line: ( 7 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 2 K)
The Warriors are back at home Sunday, taking on Le Moyne. The doubleheader is set to begin at 12 p.m.