NEWARK, N.J. – The Merrimack College softball team returned to the diamond for the first time in two weeks but was swept in a doubleheader at Caldwell (6-1, 8-4) on Sunday at Branch Brook Park.
Score (G1): Caldwell 6, Merrimack 1
Score (G2): Caldwell 8, Merrimack 4
Records: Merrimack (6-11) | Caldwell (6-8)
Location: Branch Brook Park | Newark, N.J.
How It Happened
Due to the extended winter weather conditions in the New England region, Merrimack had gone more than two weeks between games, as the Warriors’ last contest came in Florida during the Dot Richardson Games on March 13.
In Game 1, sophomore Samantha Waskowitz (Killingworth, Conn.) gave the Warriors a 1-0 lead on a ground-out RBI that scored classmate Morgan Phipps Melrose, Mass.), but Caldwell responded in the home half of the inning to tie the game. The hosts would take the lead for good in the fourth and added four more runs the rest of the way to seal the decision in Game 1.
In the later game, the Cougars crossed home plate three times in the first and five more times in the second to build an 8-0 lead that proved to be insurmountable. Merrimack scored four runs in the top of the fourth thanks to RBI at-bats from sophomore Kaleigh Finigan (Medford, Mass.) and seniors Lindsay Gibbs (Acton, Mass.), and Valerie Bauer (Salem, N.H.), but that would be the closest the score would get before the final out was recorded.
Inside The Numbers
- Phipps and senior Becca Armstrong (Methuen, Mass.) each finished 2-for-3 on the afternoon with a run apiece
- Bauer and Finigan tallied the only two extra-base hits of the afternoon; both were doubles
- Gibbs drove in a team-high two runs over the course of the afternoon
- On the mound, freshman Courtney Zambello (Sharon, Mass.) made a strong appearance in relief, tossing 4-1/3 scoreless innings while striking out four and walking only one
- Merrimack stranded eight baserunners on the afternoon
Merrimack is scheduled to open divisional play next Wednesday (April 1) at home when it hosts Assumption College for a doubleheader starting at 3 p.m.