Links: Box Score (Game 1) | Box Score (Game 2)
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. — The Merrimack College softball team fell against Saint Francis University in both home contests against the Red Flash on Saturday.
Score: Game 1: Merrimack 3, Saint Francis University 21 | Final (5 innings)
Score: Game 2: Merrimack 1, Saint Francis University 4 | Final
Records: Merrimack (6-12, 4-6 NEC) | Saint Francis University (23-6, 8-0 NEC)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
Rapid Recap (Game One)
- The Red Flash were quick on the offensive trigger in the first inning, scoring seven runs on four hits to open the game.
- Merrimack pushed to respond in the bottom half of the inning, with a walk by Tiffany Mangiameli and ground ruled double by Kelly Dovi to put runners in scoring position. Courtney Lanpher turned a nine pitch at-bat into a walk to load the bases, but all three would remain stranded.
- In the fourth, Abigail Amato hit her team-leading fourth home run of the year, sailing it to straightaway center with two on for Merrimack’s three runs.
- Saint Francis pulled away in the fifth, scoring 14 runs in the inning.
Rapid Recap (Game Two)
- Courtney Lanpher sent her second home run of the year to right center in the second inning off of the first swing of her at-bat, giving Merrimack a 1-0 lead.
- Saint Francis responded with a solo shot to left in the top of the third to tie the game up.
- In the fifth, the Red Flash strung together four singles to make it a 2-1 game, before back-to-back home runs in the seventh padded the lead.
- Sophomore Katelyn Thompson was steady in her complete game performance, earning five strikeouts and no walks with 99 pitches.
Notes and Numbers
Merrimack will travel to Connecticut for a doubleheader at Sacred Heart on Wednesday, April 7 with games set for 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. at Pioneer Park.
For continuing coverage of Merrimack College Athletics, visit and follow the Warriors on Twitter and on Facebook.