NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College softball program picked up a crucial northeast division win on Wednesday, taking down Stonehill in the series finale with a 4-3 final. Merrimack, now one game ahead of Assumption for third place, owns the tiebreaker over two of the three teams fighting for the fourth and final spot in the division.
Score: Merrimack 4, Stonehill 3 | Final
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
- Merrimack put numbers on the board in the top of the first. After junior Tiffany Mangiameli singled, senior Hannah Johnson hit her second RBI triple of the season, making it 1-0. Senior Caitlin McBridecracked a ground rule double one batter later, scoring Johnson to double the lead. Freshman Jenna Wike got in on the action, hitting the third extra base knock of the inning and scoring McBride from third.
- Stonehill was able to cut into the lead in the top of the fourth inning. With two aboard, Sophie Perez drove a double to deep left field, scoring both runners and cutting the lead in half.
- Stonehill made it a game in the top of the seventh. With runners on first and second, Michelle Theilgard singled and cut the lead to three. Merrimack buckled down defensively, recording the last out and walking away with the rubber match victory.
Notes and Numbers
- WP – Bridget Soraghan (6-4) | LP – Katie Rayner (13-12)
- Soraghan’s Line: (3 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 K)
The Warriors are back at Franklin Pierce Wednesday to finish off the three-game series with an afternoon doubleheader. First pitch is slated for 22 p.m.