NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women’s basketball program held the visiting Assumption College Greyhounds without a point from the 4:16 mark of the final quarter to just 18 seconds remaining on Wednesday night from Hammel Court, using that time frame to ensure its season sweep of the Greyhounds, 57-53, behind an 18-point performance from freshman Alyssa Casey. With the win, Merrimack increased its season-long winning streak to four games.
Links: Box Score | Highlights | Casey Interview
Score: Merrimack 57¸ Assumption 53
Records: Merrimack (12-8, 8-7 NE10) | Assumption (7-13, 4-11 NE10)
Location: Hammel Court | North Andover, Mass.
- The Warriors led, 49-42, with less than seven minutes remaining in the game, only to see the Greyhounds collect seven of the next nine points to pull within two with 4:16 on the clock
- Until there was just 0:18 to play, the Warriors’ defense held Assumption to 0-for-5 from the field, increasing their lead to 54-49. The Greyhounds scoring just seven points during the first 9:42 of game action
- A high-scoring first quarter saw the Warriors shoot 57 percent from the field and net 19 points. Five different players scored for the Navy and Gold including four points and three assists for freshman Mayson Kimball. The Greyhounds kept with their hosts, however, scoring 16 points of their own to make it a three-point game after 10 minutes
- The Greyhounds started the second quarter on a 7-0 run to claim a 23-19 advantage four minutes into the second quarter. The Greyhounds’ spurt extended to an 11-2 stretch, causing the Warriors to use a timeout trailing, 27-21, with 3:59 until halftime
- Casey led a late charge before halftime. The rookie posted six points during an 8-3 run to close the opening stanza that turned a 27-21 deficit into a 30-29 tilt through 20 minutes
- Sophomore Denia Davis-Stewart scored four points and Kimball reached double figures during a 10-4 run to start the third quarter for the Warriors. Assumption answered with four unanswered points, however, to make it a 39-38 game and prompt a Merrimack timeout at the 3:09 mark
- Merrimack took a 45-42 lead to the final quarter, and held the Greyhounds scoreless over the first 3:54 of the final frame to jump ahead by seven, 49-42. Assumption scored seven of the next nine points, however, to pull within two at the 4:16 mark
- Casey hits a layup at the 3:54 mark to put Merrimack up four, and senior Lindsay Werner hit a free throw with just 21 seconds remaining that proved to be the game-winning field goal
Notes and Notables
- With Saint Anselm also winning Wednesday, the Warriors remain one game behind the Hawks for fourth in the division entering Saturday’s tilt in Manchester
- Casey’s 18 points led the Warriors and was the rookie’s most in her last 11 games. She hit nine field goals, tied for the second-most of her debut year. She fell one rebound short of her fifth double-double of the season
- Merrimack assisted on 16 of 23 field goals. Junior Karlee Alves finished with a game-high six assists
- Merrimack won despite not hitting a three-pointer
- The Greyhounds were led by a game-high 22 points on 9-of-14 shooting by Morgan O’Donnell
Merrimack travels to Saint Anselm on Saturday for a pivotal divisional tilt against the fourth-place Hawks at 1:30 p.m. from Stoutenburgh Gymnasium.