Links: Box Score
MOON TOWNSHIP, PA. – The Merrimack College women’s basketball team suffered its third Northeast Conference loss to Robert Morris University on Saturday. Freshman Kaylee Thomas had a team-high 14 points on the afternoon. Thomas shot 4-8 from the field, including 2-4 from long range. Graduate student Courtney Clasen was the only other Warriors in double figures, she scored 13 points in the loss.
Score: Merrimack 50, Robert Morris 72
Records: Merrimack (10-7, 3-3 NEC) | Robert Morris (10-6, 5-0 NEC)
Location: UPMC Events Center | Moon Township, Pa.
- With just over five minutes left in the first quarter sophomore guard Kate Mager knocked down a three to tie the game up at eight. Robert Morris responded by going on an 11-0 run to close out the first quarter.
- Merrimack opened up the second quarter with a Thomas three that cut the Robert Morris lead to eight. The Colonials made the lead 12 after two free throws from Nina Augustin. Clasen responded with a jumper to make the lead 10. The Robert Morris advantage stayed around eight points until a free throw by freshman Diamond Christian cut the lead to seven with 44 seconds left in the half.
- Clasen opened up the quarter for Merrimack with a jumper. Robert Morris made the lead 13 after back to back threes by Isabella Posset. Senior Denia Davis-Stewart responded with a three of her own with 5:33 left in the quarter. The Colonials took a 14-point lead into the fourth quarter.
- In the fourth, Thomas opened up the quarter with a three ball that cut the Robert Morris advantage to 11. Robert Morris then went on a 6-0 run to make the lead 17. Junior Marissa Gattuso knocked down a three with just over two minutes remaining in the game to cut the deficit to 20. With seconds remaining freshman Alana Fursman hit a layup to make the Robert Morris lead 22.
Notes and Numbers
- With her 14-point performance this afternoon, Thomas has now scored 14 points twice against Robert Morris this season.
- This afternoon marked the third time Clasen has scored in double figures this season.
- Merrimack led the game 6-2 in points off of fast breaks
Merrimack stays in Pennsylvania to take on Saint Francis (PA). The game will take place on Monday, January 20th at 1 p.m.