SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – Freshman Krystal Knight (Groveland, Mass.) of the Merrimack College women’s golf team fired an opening-round total of 77 on Monday, as she currently sits in a tie for 12th overall at the NCAA Division II East Super Regional in Springfield, Illinois.
Place after Day 1: Krystal Knight (77) T-12th
Event: NCAA Division II East Super Regional
Location: Panther Creek Country Club | Springfield, Ill.
What They Said
Head Coach Nick Crovetti: “Krystal played very solidly today, in fact, better than her score indicated. We have a lot more golf to play and are looking forward to competing for a spot at the national championship.”
How It Happened
Knight was ready to showcase her outstanding ability on the enormous stage, as she posted a round in the 70s for the 13th time this season during day-one action of the three-round tournament. The Groveland, Massachusetts, native showcased her poise, by recording 12 pars and one birdie on the 18-hole course.
After the three-round tournament concludes on Wednesday, the top-three teams from the East Region will qualify for the NCAA Division II National Championship on Wednesday, May 18 – Saturday, May 21, at the CommonGround Golf Course in Aurora, Colorado. After those teams are identified, Knight must finish in the top-three of the remaining competitors in order to qualify for the 72-hole national championship. She currently sits in a tie for fifth overall among the remaining competitors, which consists of nine teams and the other five individual qualifiers from the East Region.
Knight’s five-over-par 77 puts her in first place among the group of individual qualifiers, as she holds a two-stroke lead over second-place Kasey Frazier (Wheeling Jesuit). Knight went on a surge of recording par on five of six holes during the front nine, including a stretch of making par on three consecutive holes. Knight saved her best for last, as she shot par seven times and fired one birdie during the back nine. She finished strong, as she made par on the final five holes of the course.
Knight’s work ethic has propelled her to this moment, as she is averaging a team-low 78.0 strokes per round. She claimed all nine Northeast-10 Conference Rookie of the Week awards, while garnering Golfer of the Week recognition on three occasions during her historic rookie season for the Warriors.
Individual Qualifier Scores
T-12. Krystal Knight (Merrimack College) 77
T-23. Kasey Frazier (Wheeling Jesuit U.) 79
T-25. Ellen Mitchell (Drury) 80
T-25. Nicolle Barmettler (Truman State Univ.) 80
T-32. Jamie Ellison (Ohio Dominican University) 81
T-37. Diana Munoz (Gannon) 82
1. U. of Indianapolis 296
2. Grand Valley State 302
3. Findlay 304
4. Southern Indiana 305
5. Ashland 315
6. Missouri – St. Louis 320
7. Lewis 321
8. Trevecca Nazarene U. 323
9. California-PA 328
T-10. Northwood (MI) 333
T-10. Illinois-Springfield 333
12. William Jewell Coll. 337
- Warriors’ top-finisher in seven of 10 regular-season events, including a string of five consecutive earlier this season
- Compiled a streak of tallying 70s in 11 of 13 rounds earlier this season
- Fired nine rounds in the 70s during the fall season
- Warriors’ top-finisher in 12 regular-season rounds, including six of nine spring rounds
- Finished in the top-15 overall in all 10 regular-season events, while finishing in the top-three on five occasions.
- At the Perry Park Spring Fling, fired two rounds of 75, which are tied for the lowest single-round totals by any Warrior during the spring season
- Fired a career-low round of 73 and a career-low two-round match score of 149 at the Lady Penmen Invitational in September en route to earning medalist honors for the first time in her career
- The mark of 149 is tied for the lowest two-round match score in program history, while the round of 73 is tied for the fourth-lowest single round in the program
- Finished second overall with a 78-75-153 ledger at the NE-10 Championship in September, while earning Outstanding Rookie of the Championship and all-conference first-team honors
- Named Corvias ECAC Women’s Golf Rookie of the Month for Division II during the month of March
- Helped the team break the program’s lowest single-round total on two different occasions this past fall
- The first time was at the Southern N.H. Dual (309) and the most recent came on Day 1 of the Lady Penmen Invitational (307)
- Vital component in the Warriors earning first-place finishes in three events during the fall
Knight will compete in the second round of the NCAA Division II East Super Regional tomorrow at the Panther Creek Country Club in Springfield, Illinois.