Links: Box Score
WORCESTER, Mass – The Merrimack women’s ice hockey team took a tough 2-1 loss at Holy Cross on Thursday night, despite a 19 shot on goal effort in the third period.
Score: Merrimack 1, Holy Cross 2
Records: Merrimack (3-8-2, 1-6-2 HEAW) | Holy Cross (1-10-3, 1-7-0 HEAW)
Location: Hart Center | Worcester, Mass.
How It Happened
- Holy Cross opened the scoring on home ice, as the Crusader player stole the puck in the defensive zone and sprinted through, putting a difficult shot in eight minutes into the first period.
- On the power play, Merrimack tied the game off of Mikyla Grant-Mentis’ one-timer from the point to tie the game at 1.
- The Crusaders scored again in the third, with a long floating shot in from just inside the blueline lofted in for the eventual game winner.
Notes & Numbers
- Grant-Mentis is now tied for first in the nation in goals with 11 this season. She’s even with Clarkson’s Elizabeth Giguere and Wisconsin’s Grace Zumwinkle at the top of the leaderboard.
- Grant-Mentis has scored in her seventh straight game, putting up 14 points in that stretch.
- The team’s second line sent off a flurry of shots, with Dominika Laskova putting nine shots on net and Kate Bukolska with seven shots on goal.
- Goaltenders: Lea-Kristine Demers (22 saves, 2-7-2) // Jada Brennon (33 saves, 1-9-1)
- Power Plays: 1-3 | 0-4
- Shots on Goal: 7-7 // 10-8 // 19-7 – 34-24
- Faceoffs: 24 // 27
- Blocks: 7 // 15
Merrimack returns home to Lawler Rink for a 6 p.m. puck drop on Friday, Nov. 15 to finish the weekend series against the Holy Cross Crusaders.