Links: Box Score
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass.– Merrimack women’s ice hockey fought in an evenly-matched contest against the University of Maine Black Bears on Saturday, falling 2-1 after first year Ally Qualley scored her first career goal.
Score: Merrimack 1, Maine 2
Records: Merrimack Warriors (1-14-0, 1-14-0 HE) | Maine Black Bears (6-7-0, 6-7-0 HE)
Location: Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- On the game’s opening power play, as the visitors scored on a deflected shot from the slot, with a screen bedded in front of the net at 3:05 of the first.
- The Warriors pressed offensively in the first, posting 15 shots on goal through the opening 20 minutes, doubling down the effort with seven shots in the second.
- Merrimack broke its goalless drought at 18:20 of the middle frame. Gabby Jones picked up the puck behind Maine’s net, passing it up along the boards to a waiting Kiki Roust. Roust fed the puck over to an unmarked Raice Szott, who sent in a booming shot on goal. Creating traffic in front, Ally Qualley deflected the shot in for her first career goal.
- Maine snagged the game winner on a long stretch pass from the Black Bear’s defensive zone, catching the Warriors pinned deep in the offensive zone at 13:37 of the third.
- Shorthanded, Gabby Jones had a prime opportunity to tie the game with less than four minutes remaining in the game. After passing a puck through a defender on the boards before cutting into the zone unencumbered. Catching Maine’s goaltender backing deeper into the crease, Jones elevated the puck over her, with the shot firing off the cross bar and back into the paint.
Notes & Numbers
- Four players popped at least four shots on goal, with Ally Qualley leading the way with six pucks on net.
- Having a solid two-way game, Kiki Roust had an assist, four shots on goal and six blocked shots.
- Goaltenders: Emma Gorski (25 saves, 1-13-0) | Loryn Porter (24 saves, 6-7-0)
- Power Plays: MC 0-2 | ME 1-2
- Shots on Goal: MC 15, ME 9 | MC 7, ME 10 | MC 3, ME 8 | MC 25, ME 27
- Faceoffs: 26 MC | 28 ME
- Blocks: 12 MC | 22 ME
The Warriors will finish the weekend series against the Black Bears on Sunday at Lawler, with puck drop set for 2 p.m.
For continuing coverage of Merrimack College Athletics, visit MerrimackAthletics.com and follow the Warriors on Twitter, Instagram and on Facebook.