Connect with us

STORRS, Conn. – Freshman Katelyn Rae (Courtice, Ontario) scored with less than three minutes remaining in the third period to tie the game at two, sending her team to its second overtime game in four games this week, but neither side would score again as the Merrimack College women’s ice hockey team registered its first-ever tie at Connecticut, 2-2 on Sunday afternoon.

The Basics
Score: Merrimack 2,
Connecticut 2
Records: (Merrimack  3-19-1, 2-11-1 HEA)
| Connecticut (8-9-4, 4-6-2 HEA)
Freitas Ice Forum| Storrs, Connecticut

How It Happened
The first period of Sunday’s contest was an extremely even frame, as both sides with exchange scoring opportunities. The game would go up and down the ice as each team quickly transitioned from defense to offense and getting shots on goal. Shots would sit at an even 10-10 at the end of the opening period.

Connecticut would score the first goal of the game 2:51 into the second on their third shot of the period. Merrimack would hold the Huskies to just one more shot on goal for the remainder of the second.

Just 2:20 after UConn scored the first goal of the game, freshman Madison Morey (Fairbanks, Alaska) would tie the game up at one on assists from freshmen defensemen Paige Sorensen (Plymouth, Minn.) and Baye Flanagan (Billerica, Mass.). Despite Merrimack dominating the period and outshooting the Huskies 11-4 in the frame, UConn would add another score at 12:38 in the second and take a 2-1 lead into the third period.

Play slowed down in the third period as Connecticut maintained possession and looked to preserve their lead and not allow the Warriors to get a chance to tie. Both teams would combine for just nine shots in the entire period, with the Huskies being favored 6-3. But Rae would make sure to make one of those shots counted, tying the game up with 2:39 remaining. The score would hold and the Warriors would head to overtime, looking for the same result they had in their first road and overtime win in Vermont this past Monday.

Just 35 seconds into overtime, the Huskies would take a penalty and send the Warriors on the power play with a chance for the win. Merrimack would get two clean looks on the man advantage but was unable to convert. The Warriors would outshoot UConn 4-3 in the extra period, but the score would hold at two apiece.

Inside The Numbers

  • The Warriors responded well to the tough one-goal loss to Connecticut Saturday, outshooting the Huskies 28-23 in Storrs on Sunday. The Huskies would win the battle at the faceoff dot 39-27.
  • After two power-play goals from Connecticut on Saturday that really hurt Merrimack in its 4-3 loss, the Warriors did not take a single penalty in Sunday’s tie. The Warriors would go 0/2 on the power play.
  • Rae’s goal on Sunday now has her on a four-game points streak to begin 2016, registering five points in that span (2g, 3a).
  • Merrimack is now 1-1-1 in overtime games this year, posting its first-ever road win and tie in those three games.

Up Next
The Warriors prepare for one of their toughest tasks of the season when they play a home-and-home series with undefeated Boston College next weekend.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Women's Hockey