Links: Box Score
ORONO, Maine – The Merrimack Warriors tied the Maine Black Bears 1-1 in a conference contest at Alfond Arena on Friday afternoon.
Score: Merrimack 1, Maine 1
Records: Merrimack (4-17-3, 1-13-2 HEAW) | Maine (9-10-4, 5-8-4 HEAW)
Location: Alfond Arena | Orono, Maine
How It Happened
- Merrimack took the game on a highlight reel goal from Mikyla Grant-Mentis. The senior captain jumped on a loose puck in the defensive zone, fighting off three defenders through the neutral zone and in on goal before shaking them off and finishing with a fake that she tucked in behind the goaltender’s pad.
- Maine scored the equalizer in the opening seconds of the second period, as the Black Bear player took the puck along the boards and cut in through for a goal.
- Teams stayed off the scoresheet in the third, with Maine outshooting Merrimack 12-10, forcing the game into overtime.
- Merrimack posted two shots on goal in the five-minute overtime, including an unmarked chance by Grant-Mentis in the high slot that rang off the pipe.
Notes & Numbers
- Grant-Mentis and fellow co-captain Kate Bukolska tied for the team lead in shot attempts in the game with eight each.
- Senior netminder Léa Kristine Demers made 35 saves in the afternoon, giving a strong presence to anchor the defense.
- Merrimack has had six games go to overtime this season, with a 1-2-3 record in games with extra time.
- Goaltenders: Léa-Kristine Demers (29 saves, 3-12-3) // Carly Jackson (29 saves, 6-7-4)
- Power Plays: 0-4 | 0-3
- Shots on Goal: 11-7 // 7-14 // 10-12 // 2-3 – 30-36
- Faceoffs: 26 // 25
- Blocks: 8 // 12
Merrimack will continue its weekend series in Orono, Maine on Saturday, Jan. 18 with puck drop at 2 p.m.
For continuing coverage of Merrimack College Athletics, visit MerrimackAthletics.com and follow the Warriors on Twitter, Instagram and on Facebook.