North Andover, Mass – The Merrimack College women’s ice hockey team dropped its second game of the weekend series against Boston College 3-1 on Saturday afternoon.
Sophomore Gabby Jones scored the game’s opening goal at 15:19 in the first, but Merrimack couldn’t hold onto the lead as BC would go on to score two power play goals en route to the victory.
Score: Boston College 3, Merrimack 1
Records: Merrimack (0-2-0, 0-2-0 HEA) | Boston College (2-0-0, 2-0-0 HEA)
Location: Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
Game Duration: 2:09
How It Happened
- After Jones’ first goal, a strong backhander in the slot to open the scoring, Boston College scored two minutes later to tie the game at 17:46 on a power play tally by Hadley Hartmetz.
- Savannah Norcross doubled the Eagles league on different power play at 15:28 of the second, giving Boston College a lead it would not relinquish.
- Boston College sealed the victory with a goal in the first minute of the third on a rising shot in by Olivia Finocchiaro.
Notes & Numbers
- Merrimack’s defense was powerful, blocking 26 shots.
- Sophomore Gabby Jones continued her impactful weekend, adding three other shots on goal and blocking seven shots.
- Assistant captain and junior Megan Fergusson had an assist on the goal and four shots on goal in the game.
- Rachel Rockwell earned her first-ever point for Merrimack with the secondary assist on Jones’ goal.
- Goaltenders: Léa-Kristine Demers (27 saves, 0-2-0), // Maddy McArthur (23 saves, 2-0-0)
- Power Plays: 2-7 | 0-8
- Shots on Goal: 4-13 // 9-10 // 11-7 – 24-30
- Faceoffs: 22 // 36
- Blocks: 26 // 11
Merrimack welcomes ECAC Hockey squad Rensselaer for a pair of games on Fri. Oct, 4 and Sat. Oct. 5 for Homecoming, with puck drop for both games at 4 p.m.
For continuing coverage of Merrimack College Athletics, visit MerrimackAthletics.com and follow the Warriors on Twitter, Instagram and on Facebook.