Links: Box Score
BOSTON — The Merrimack College women’s ice hockey team battled through for a 2-2 tie at Boston University in the team’s first road game of the season.
Score: Merrimack 2, Boston University 2
Records: Merrimack (2-2-1, 0-2-1 HEAW) | BU (1-0-1, 1-0-1 HEAW)
Location: Walter Brown Arena | Boston, Mass.
Game Duration: 2:30
How It Happened
- 1-0 BU: Boston University opened the scoring on the night midway through the first, after the Terriers won for a scrambling puck down low.
- 1-1 MER: Less than five minutes later, junior Dominika Laskova tied the game with her first goal of the season. She handled a feed from sophomore Keisha DiCaire after she managed the pinballing puck in the neutral zone. Unchallenged, Laskova took a whistling shot from the mid-slot in to tie the game.
- 2-1 MER: Merrimack took its first lead of the game on a goal by junior Megan Fergusson. With 1:02 remaining in the period, DiCaire again set up the goal on a pass through the defense shading towards the blueline.
- 2-2 BU: Four minutes into the second period BU would post the eventual last game of the night, as Tarnowski fought for a loose puck and threw it in for the equalizer.
Notes & Numbers
- Merrimack had 16 blocked shots on the night, in addition to scoring on a power play opportunity.
- Freshman Mack Emery jumped in on the offensive side of the game, throwing seven shots on goal.
- For her efforts on both sides of the puck, senior Mikyla Grant-Mentis was named the game’s second star, while Fergusson earned a third star nod for her goal.
- Goaltenders: Lea-Kristine Demers (33 saves, 1-2-1), // Corinne Schroeder (21 saves, 1-0-1)
- Power Plays: 1-3 | 0-3
- Shots on Goal: 12-11 // 12-16 // 11-28 // 1-8 — 35-23
- Faceoffs: 17 // 26
- Blocks: 16 // 6
Merrimack is back in action next week, traveling to Boston College for a game on Friday night before return to Lawler Rink on Saturday against UConn at 4 p.m.