Links: Box Score
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass.– The Merrimack women’s ice hockey team, after an overwhelming second period effort, fell to the University of Maine Black Bears 6-1 at Lawler Rink on Sunday afternoon.
Score: Merrimack 1, Maine 6
Records: Merrimack Warriors (1-15-0, 1-15-0 HEA) | Maine Black Bears (7-7-0, 7-7-0 HEA)
Location: Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- Maine scored the game’s first goal at 4:58 of the first, potting a pinballing puck in the crease.
- The Warriors retaliated less than four minutes later, as defender Julia MacLean snagged a puck forked up the boards by the Maine defense before firing a laser shot on goal. Unmarked as she cut across the crease, Courtney Maud worked a keen tip in for her second goal of the season.
- In the dying seconds of the first, the Black Bears took the lead on a 3-on-2 break through the neutral zone, finishing on a rebound attempt.
- The Black Bears would go on to score four more in the second period, with two coming on the power play.
Notes & Numbers
- The Warriors honored redshirt senior Rachel Rockwell following the game. In her two years at Merrimack, the Broadview Heights, Ohio native competed in 45 games. In her career, she played in 108 games, scoring five goals and 33 points.
- Merrimack led in the faceoff circle, with captain Megan Fergusson winning 14 of her draws.
- First year Aries Mustoe came in relief at 7:30 of the second period, finishing out the game in goal for the Warriors with 13 saves.
- Goaltenders: Emma Gorski (16 saves, 1-14-0) | Loryn Porter (23 saves, 7-7-0)
- Power Plays: MC 0-5 | ME 2-3
- Shots on Goal: MC 4, ME 11 | MC 13, ME 14 | MC 7, ME 10 | MC 24, ME 35
- Faceoffs: 29 MC | 19 ME
- Blocks: 11 MC | 17 ME
The Warriors will finish the weekend series against the Black Bears on Sunday at Lawler, with puck drop set for 2 p.m.
For continuing coverage of Merrimack College Athletics, visit MerrimackAthletics.com and follow the Warriors on Twitter, Instagram and on Facebook.