Links: Box Score
BOSTON – The Merrimack Warriors were led by a lights-out performance by Léa Kristine Demers to earn a 1-1 tie against the No. 7/8 Boston University Terriers at Walter Brown Arena on Saturday night.
Score: Merrimack 1, Boston University 1
Records: Merrimack (4-18-3, 1-13-2 HEAW) | Boston University (16-5-2, 11-5-2 HEAW)
Location: Walter Brown Arena | Boston, Mass.
How It Happened
- BU scored the first tally of the night, taking a puck from the half wall and sending a pass over to the far point, which was fired in through a screen for the Terriers advantage.
- The Warriors stayed in the game thanks to the heroic goaltending of Léa Kristine Demers who made 36 saves against the Terriers, including 23 in the first two periods.
- Merrimack tied the game with 5:45 left to play. On the power play, Dominika Laskova took the puck long the boards and fed it to Julia MacLean alone in the high slot. Her shot came back to Courtney Maud‘s feet, where she jumped on the puck for the equalizer.
- In overtime, Demers deftly handled seven shots on goal, including two penalties in the final seconds of the game.
Notes & Numbers
- Mikyla Grant-Mentis led the team in shots on goal with 12 in the game.
- Maud’s goal was her sixth of the year and her second of 2020.
- Goaltenders: Léa-Kristine Demers (35 saves, 3-12-4) // Kate Stuart (23 saves, 5-1-1)
- Power Plays: 1-5 | 0-5
- Shots on Goal: 5-15 // 7-8 // 10-6 // 2-7 – 24-36
- Faceoffs: 23 // 27
- Blocks: 10 // 13
Merrimack will return home tomorrow to finish the series against the Terriers for Headway Foundation Night, with puck drop at 2 p.m.
For continuing coverage of Merrimack College Athletics, visit MerrimackAthletics.com and follow the Warriors on Twitter, Instagram and on Facebook.