NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Freshman attack Amber Feminella (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) tallied a hat trick for the second straight game, but the Merrimack College women’s lacrosse team dropped its first road game of the year against Mercy, 18-4, on Saturday.
Score: Mercy 18, Merrimack 4
Records: Merrimack (1-1) | Mercy (2-0)
Location: Mavericks Field | Dobbs Ferry, N.Y.
How It Happened
Playing on the road for the first time this year after opening the season with a convincing win at home last Sunday, Merrimack made the trip down to Dobbs Ferry for only its second meeting against Mercy since 2005.
Mercy outscored the Warriors by eight in the first half, tallying the first four goals of the game before Feminella found the back of the net at the 17:09 mark. That spurred three more goals from the Mavericks before junior Meghan Wiseman (Arlington, Mass.) and Feminella scored in succession to cut the deficit to four (7-3).
The Mavericks, however, would get four more to close out the half and carry an 11-3 advantage at the break.
Feminella would get one more in the second half for her second collegiate hat trick, but that would be all for the visitors, who were limited to only six shots on goal on the afternoon.
Notes and Numbers
- Feminella moved into a tie for the team lead after her second hat trick of the year, upping her season total to six
- In net, sophomore Alexa Petzold (Ridgewood, N.J.) and freshman Lauren Trepaney (Nashua, N.H.) each shared goaltending duties; the former turned away six shots while the latter recorded four saves
- Rookie Bridget Schofield (Littleton, Mass.) added an assist to pick up a point in her second straight game
- SOG: Merrimack – 6 // Mercy – 28
- Ground Balls: Merrimack – 6 // Mercy – 15
- Clears: Merrimack (10-for-18) // Mercy (12-for-13)
Merrimack opens league play with a trip to Southern Connecticut State next Saturday. First whistle is set for 1 p.m.