NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women’s lacrosse team dropped a 15-4 decision to visiting Mercy College in its home opener on Sunday afternoon at Martone-Mejail Field.
Score: Mercy 15, Merrimack 4
Records: Merrimack (0-2) | Mercy (3-0)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
- Mercy scored the game’s first four goals before Merrimack answered with just over 20 minutes to play in the first half, but the Mavericks would close out the half on a 5-1 run to carry a 9-2 lead into the half.
- The visitors once again tallied four uninterrupted markers over the first 15 minutes of the second half before the Warriors found the back of the net on consecutive occasions to make it 13-4, but the Mavericks would record the final two goals of the afternoon to close it out.
- With the Warriors trailing by four, junior Annette Ruggiero (Peabody, Mass.) got the hosts on the board with her second marker of the year with 20:47 left off a pretty individual play. Then, later in the half, senior Hunter McCarthy (Avon, Conn.) snuck in a free position opportunity for her first tally of the season with only 15 seconds to play, sending the Warriors into the intermission trailing by seven.
- Ruggiero recorded her second goal of the game midway through the second half off a stellar behind-the-net feed from freshman Kyra Schwartzman (Kennebunk, Maine) to cut into the Mercy lead.
- Three minutes later, sophomore Bridget Schofield (Littleton, Mass.) made it 2-for-2 for the hosts in free position shot attempts, burying her second of the young season.
- Mercy, however, would get the final two goals of the afternoon to wrap things up.
Notes and Notables
- Ruggiero became the second Warrior this season to post a two-goal game, joining Schwartzman, who did so in Tuesday’s season opener at No. 15 NYIT.
- Merrimack tied its single-game season high with 11 shots on goal while trimming five turnovers out of its total from Tuesday’s game, down to 20 on Sunday.
- Ruggiero also led Merrimack in shot attempts (4) and shots on goal (4) for the second straight game.
Team Leaders (MC // MERCY)
- Points: Ruggiero (2) // Katherine Sanchez (6)
- Goals: Ruggiero (2) // Sanchez (4)
- Assists: Schwartzman (1) // Alexa Haines (3)
- Draw Controls: Ruggiero/Schwartzman (2) // Huntenr Isnardi (11)
- Caused Turnovers: Schofield (4) // Haines (4)
- Saves: Lauren Trepaney (3) // Shianne Judson (7)
Team Comparisons (MC // MERCY)
- Shots (Total/SOG): 14/11 // 24/19
- Draw Controls: 7 // 14
- Ground Balls: 18 // 15
- Clears: 14-18 // 16-18
- Turnovers: 20 // 20
Merrimack will enjoy a weeklong break before next returning to action with a road trip to Roberts Wesleyan next Sunday (March 12). First whistle from Rochester, New York, is set for 12 p.m.