Links: Box Score
Niagara Falls, N.Y. – The Merrimack College women’s lacrosse team loses in the first of two games this weekend after suffering a 10-8 loss at Niagara University. Senior Ally DaCosta, junior Taylor Darrell and junior Haley Bartlett all had two goals on the day for the Warriors. With the loss the Merrimack moves to 1-3 on the season.
Score: Merrimack 8, Niagara 10
Records: Merrimack (1-3) | Niagara (1-2)
Location: Niagara Falls, N.Y.
How It Happened
- Niagara took an early two-goal lead in the first two minutes of play. Senior Olivia Colletti got the Warriors on the board off a free position shot. Junior Meghan Dzialo scored less than two minutes later to tie the game. Bartlett gave Merrimack the lead minutes later, scoring her fifth goal of the season. The Purple Eagles responded and Bartlett scored her second of the day nearly five minutes later to put the Warriors back up 4-3. The Purple Eagles scored two more goals and took the lead before DaCosta scored her first of the day to tie things back up five. Once again, Niagara shot back two goals to give them a two-goal advantage. Darrell responded cutting Niagara’s lead to one at the half.
- Niagara was first to get on the board in the second half to push its lead to two. DaCosta got the Warriors back within one after scoring her second goal of the day. The Purple Eagles than responded with two goals, gaining the largest lead of the day at 10-7. Darrell scored her second goal with just under three minutes left to play in the game.
Notes & Numbers
- Senior goalkeeper Tammy Nguyen had 5 saves on the afternoon.
- Dzialo led the team in ground balls with three on the game.
- Shots (MER-NIA): 33-21 (23-15 SOG)
- Draw Controls (MER-NIA): 7-8 Ground Balls (MER-NIA): 23-20
- Turnovers (MER-NIA): 14-20 // Clears (MER-NIA): 17-19 // 22-25
The Warriors travel to Lafayette on Saturday. Game time is set for 3 p.m.