NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women’s soccer program couldn’t find the back of the net Saturday afternoon, falling to #9 Franklin Pierce 4-0.
Score: Merrimack 0, FPU, 4 | Final
Records: Merrimack (4-5-1) | FPU (9-1-0)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- The Warriors had an excellent chance in the first five minutes of the game, when a one-time shot from freshman Erin Tyldesley just missed the crossbar.
- Franklin Pierce responded just minutes later. A corner kick was perfectly squared up by Veronica Marques, who opened the scoring for the Ravens.
- The Ravens scored once more before the end of the half. Ciersten Palumbo hit a cross inside the box for the 2-0 lead.
- Franklin Pierce made it three goals in the 65th minute. Nathalia Maria de Silva received a pass inside the box and was able to beat the keeper one-on-one.
- Bruna Tavares scored the fourth goal of the game in the 70th minute; Bruna Tavares ripped a shot from 22 yards out that went bar-down for the score.
- Merrimack had chances inside the box through the back 45 minutes, but strong defensive work from the Ravens didn’t allow for a shot to ever make it through.
Inside The Numbers
- This is just the first game where the Warriors split goaltenders, having sophomore Megan Langlois come in to start the second half.
- Keeper records: Junior Erin Fulton, L (5 saves, 4-5-1) // Casey Kane, W (2 saves, 9-1-0)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 17 (2) // FPU 25 (14)
- Corners: MER – 4 // FPU – 10
The Warriors return to Martone-Mejail Field Monday, October 8, to take on non-conference Concordia. Game time is set for 4 p.m.