BURLINGTON, Vt. – Sophomore Erin Tyldesley made history for the Merrimack College women’s soccer team on Friday afternoon, scoring the program’s first goal in its Division I history as the Warriors began play in the TD Bank Classic against the University of New Hampshire up in Burlington, Vt. The second-year midfielder scored in the 10th minute, but the Wildcats proceeded to score three times over the remainder of the game to claim victory.
Merrimack will wrap of the tournament on Sunday afternoon when the Warriors face the host University of Vermont Catamounts at 1 p.m. from Virtue Field.
Score: UNH 3, Merrimack 1
Records: Merrimack (0-2) | UNH (2-1)
Location: Virtue Field | Burlington, Vt.
- Senior captain Erin Fulton made her first of five saves in the second minute, while junior forward Izzy McDonnell fired a shot in the fifth minute that was stopped by UNH
- After Merrimack controlled possession and won a corner kick, the Warriors converted. Sophomore Sara MacFarland found her classmate and Tyldesley converted to put Merrimack up by one
- UNH would score an equalizer 15 minutes later when the Wildcats pounced on a loose ball in the box. The two foes would enter the half squared at one goal apiece after Fulton made two more saves to keep the contest tied
- Junior Megan Langlois took over in net for the second half after her three-save effort in the season opener. UNH scored against the third-year Warriors converting on a free kick in the 49th minute
- The 61st minute saw the Wildcats tack on an insurance tally, building a two-goal edge
Stats & Figures
- Keeper records: Megan Langlois, L (1 save, 0-1-0) // Cat Shepherd, W (3 saves, 2-1-0)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 10 (4) // UNH – 22(9)
- Corners: MER – 2 // UNH – 8
Merrimack faces UVM to conclude play in the TD Bank Classic at 1 p.m. on Sunday back at Virtue Field.