WORCESTER, Mass. – Sophomore Izzy McDonnell picked up a goal late in the second half, but for the second time this season, the Merrimack College women’s soccer team drew with a Northeast 10 Conference opponent with a 1-1 final against Assumption.
Score: Merrimack 1, Assumption, 1 | Final
Records: Merrimack (8-6-2) | Assumption (8-6-2)
Location: Multi-Sport Stadium | Worcester, Mass.
How It Happened
- The Warriors came out firing in the opening 10 minutes, with a great opportunity to score early. A shot just inside the 18 from sophomore Izzy Mcdonnell forced Greyhound keeper Alex Nason off her line, making the diving save.
- In the 18th, another goal was nearly scored by the Warriors; a shot from senior Gigi Guenther just missed, running inches wide.
- Just minutes later, the Greyhounds countered and struck first. Kallie Villemaire was able to beat sophomore Megan Langlois to give Assumption the early lead.
- Guenther had another opportunity in the 25th; this time, an even bigger save by Nason kept the lead for the Greyhounds.
- In the 36th, Merrimack continued to knock on the door. Guenther rung the post on a deep shot, and the rebound was sent in by freshman Erin Tyldesley; another acrobatic save by Nason kept the Warriors scoreless.
- Junior Erin Fulton came on in the second half, and was immediately tested; a shot from 20 yards out took a last-second hop off the turf, but a diving save kept the deficit at just one goal.
- In the 65th minute, Merrimack evened the score. A scrum inside the 18, sophomore Izzy McDonnell got into the mix; a hard, low shot beat the keeper and rippled the right side of the net, tying the game at one goal apiece.
Inside The Numbers
- With the tie, the Warriors are guaranteed a winning season; the team has just one losing season in the 35 years head coach Gabe Mejail had been under the helm.
- Wednesday night’s game was the sixth game to go into overtime this year for the Warriors.
- Merrimack has given up just two goals in the last four matches.
- Keeper records: Junior Erin Fulton, T (4 saves, 6-5-2) // Alexis Nason, T (11 saves, 8-6-2)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 29 (12) // AC 25 (12)
- Corners: MER – 6 // AC – 8
The Warriors return for its final home game of the season this Saturday, October 24, as it takes on Saint Anselm. Game time is set for 6 p.m.