NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College will open the 2016 season with the return of the Merrimack Kickoff Classic to Martone-Mejail Field when they play host to Molloy College on Friday at 7 p.m. It will be the first of two games the Warriors play in the Classic, as they will host Domincan on Sunday at noon.
Merrimack Kickoff Classic | Martone-Mejail Field:
Day 1 – Friday, Sept. 2
Match 1: Dominican vs. Bentley – 4 p.m.
Match 2: Molloy vs. Merrimack – 7 p.m. (ULTIMATE WARRIOR!)
Day 2 – Sunday, Sept. 4
Match 3: Dominican vs. Merrimack – 12 p.m
Match 4: Bentley vs. Molloy – 3 p.m.
Giveaway: The first 100 students in attendance will receive a schedule poster featuring members of the women’s soccer team!
Ultimate Warrior: The contest against Molloy will be women’s soccer’s first Ultimate Warrior event of the season. Download our new Ultimate Warrior App today and get rewarded! Check-in through the app beginning at 6:30 p.m. on Friday.
A Look Back at 2015:
- Merrimack posted a 12-6-3 record in the 2015 season, including an 8-4-2 record in Northeast-10 Conference play to finish fifth in the league in the regular season. The Navy and Gold also posted a dominant 7-1-1 record at Martone-Mejail Field last year.
- The Warriors made their return to the Northeast-10 Conference Championship in 2015 for the 31st time in 32 years under head coach Gabe Mejail , beating Southern New Hampshire for the second time in the season in the NE-10 Quarterfinals.
- Second year captain and senior Megan Gada (Bozrah, Conn.) returns to the lineup in 2016 looking to use her experience with leadership from the 2015 season to help the 2016 squad.
History vs. Molloy/Domincan :
- The Warriors continue their tradition of opening the season with Molloy, with 2015 seeing Merrimack open the year at the Molloy Kickoff Classic, playing games against Molloy and Dowling College. Merrimack would go undefeated in their two matchups at Molloy, including a 1-1 tie with Molloy. Junior standout Victoria Carter (Smithfield, R.I.) scored the lone goal for Merrimack in the game.
- The contest between the Warriors and Dominican will be the just the fifth meeting between the two teams in the history of the program, with the last meeting coming nearly a decade ago in 2007. Merrimack is unbeaten in the four matchups between the programs.
- Merrimack returns seven starters from the 2015 season, including senior captain Julia Heffernan (Westborough, Mass.) who will guide the Warriors from the backline along with fellow senior back Alyssa Eaton (Hanson, Mass.).
- Sophomore Gigi Guenther (Webster, Mass.) will look to follow up on a breakout freshman season that saw her earn NE-10 All-Rookie honors, finishing the season with three goals and three assists for nine points, ranking fourth on the team.
- Merrimack enters the 2016 season with an evenly dispersed roster of 15 underclassmen and 16 upperclassmen. Of the 31 athletes on the roster, 24 already have game experience under their belt.
- Molloy finished the 2015 season with a 6-8-2 record, including a 3-6-0 record in Eastern Collegiate Conference play to finish seventh in the league.
- Senior Danielle Valente returns to the Molloy offense after leading her team in 2015 with six goals and 13 points.
- Molloy enters 2016 with no experience between the pipes, as they graduated two goalkeepers in last season. They will turn to a freshman and sophomore combo in the first games of their careers to start the season.
- Dominican struggled in the 2015 season, going 2-12 across 14 games and a 2-10 record in Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference play, posting a seventh-place finish in the league
- Senior Caitlyn Hults returns to highlight the Chargers lineup, while fellow senior Andrea Zuluaga will also help contribute for Dominican.