NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women’s tennis team continued to pick up steam as the season goes on, topping the University of New Haven, 6-3.
Score: Merrimack 6 | New Haven 3
Records: Merrimack (7-2, 7-2 NE-10) | New Haven (3-8, 3-8 NE-10)
Location: North Andover High School | North Andover, Mass.
What They Said
Head coach Aaron Bergeron: “They played us tough the whole match and I was very pleased with our doubles play. That set us up for a successful day.”
How It Happened
The Warriors set themselves up for a win after executing their game plan in the doubles portion of the match.
At No. 1, Grace Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and Chealsey Giatrelis (Centerville, Mass.) took care of business, winning 8-0.
The second pairing was a tough-fought victory as Rachel Muller (North Andover, Mass.) and Mackenzie Blair (Thomaston, Conn.) won, 8-6.
For the second straight match, Bergeron sent on the freshmen duo of Danielle Dunn (Middleton, Mass.) and Abbey Bryant (North Brookfield, Mass.) as No. 3. The rookies responded with a 8-1 victory.
Singles play started off well, as Messina and Giatrelis won their matches to clinch the win for the Merrimack.
The Chargers proceeded to take three of the final four matches. The lone victory for Merrimack was at No. 5 courtesy of Blair.
1. Grace Messina/Chealsey Giatrelis (MER) def. Lindsey Conley /Alex Shanshakov (UNH) 8-0
2. Rachel Muller/Mackenzie Blair (MER) def. Sam Nigri / Angelica Pecci (UNH) 8-6
3. Danielle Dunn /Abbey Bryant (MER) def. Alexia Petruzziello/Christina Santos (UNH) 8-1
1. Grace Messina (MER) def. Alex Shanshakov (UNH) 6-2, 6-0
2. Chealsey Giatrelis (MER) def. Sam Nigri (UNH) 6-3, 6-0
3. Lindsey Conley (UNH) def. Danielle Dunn (MER) 2-6, 6-3, 3-6
4. Alexia Petruzziello (UNH) def. Rachel Muller (MER) 6-4, 6-3
5. Mackenzie Blair (MER) def. Angelica Pecci (UNH) 7-5, 6-4
6. Sarah Burzin (UNH) def. Abbey Bryant (MER) 6-2, 6-0
The Navy and Gold step out of conference play when they face Colby-Sawyer on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.