NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women’s tennis team rebounded from its first loss of the season by defeating Le Moyne College by an 8-1 margin on Saturday afternoon at North Andover High School.
Score: Merrimack 8, New Haven 1
Records: Merrimack (4-1, 4-1 NE-10) | Le Moyne (1-2, 1-2 NE-10)
Location: North Andover High School | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Senior Grace Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and sophomore Mana Seifaei (North York, Ontario)remained unbeaten as doubles partners this season, improving to 5-0 after posting an 8-5 victory over Le Moyne’s No. 1 doubles pair
- No. 2 – Sophomore Lauren Persson (Barnstable, Mass.) and freshman Mia Briggs (York, Maine) rebounded from their only loss as doubles partners this season, claiming the No. 2 flight with an 8-3 victory to move to 3-1 on the year
- No. 3 – Juniors Danielle Dunn (Middleton, Mass.) and Mackenzie Blair (Thomaston, Conn.) posted a clean sweep in doubles with an 8-0 victory in the No. 3 spot
How It Happened (Singles)
- No. 1 – Messina made quick work of Le Moyne’s Tiffany Dun in the top flight, posting set scores of 6-1 and 6-2 to improve to 5-0 on the season in singles play, all in the No. 1 flight.
- No. 2 – Seifaei also bounced back from a loss on Wednesday in singles, although she needed three sets to do so. The Ontario native took the opening frame, 6-3, but dropped the middle set by a 6-4 tally. She and Le Moyne’s Rithika Vajjravelu then battled fiercely in the third set before Seifaei eventually prevailed to take the set, 11-9.
- No. 3 – Persson dropped a hard-fought third flight, but that was Merrimack’s lone blemish on the afternoon; she forced a decisive third set with a 6-4 victory in the second frame but fell in the final set, 10-5.
- No. 4 – Dunn stormed back from a 6-1 first-set deficit in dominating fashion, dropping only a single game the rest of the way with a 6-0 win in the middle frame and a 6-1 victory in the final set.
- No. 5 – Blair wrapped up a two-win afternoon by posting a straight-set victory (6-2, 6-1) in the No. 5 flight.
- No. 6 – Briggs wrapped things up with a clean sweep at No. 6 singles with a pair of goose-egg victories.
1. Grace Messina/Mana Seifaei (MER) def. Tiffany Dun / A. Benoit-Limosani (LEM) 8-5
2. Mia Briggs/Lauren Persson (MER) def. Christina Perry / Rithika Vajjiravelu (LEM) 8-3
3. Mackenzie Blair/Danielle Dunn (MER) def. Cameron Aiello / Kim Driesen (LEM) 8-0
1. Grace Messina (MER) def. Tiffany Dun (LEM) 6-1, 7-6
2. Mana Seifaei (MER) def. Rithika Vajjiravelu (LEM) 6-3, 4-6, 11-9
3. Lauren Persson (MER) def. A. Benoit-Limosani (LEM) 3-6, 6-4, 5-10
4. Danielle Dunn (MER) def. Christina Perry (LEM) 1-6, 6-0, 6-1
5. Mackenzie Blair (MER) def. Kim Driesen (LEM) 6-2, 6-1
6. Mia Briggs (MER) def. Cameron Aiello (LEM) 6-0, 6-0
Merrimack continues its busy stretch tomorrow when it faces Saint Rose right back at North Andover High School beginning at 12 p.m.