WEST HAVEN, CONN. – The Merrimack College women’s tennis team responded well after its first loss of the season on Friday, putting away the New Haven Chargers without losing a set on Saturday afternoon at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center in Northeast-10 Conference play.
Score: Merrimack 9 | New Haven 0
Records: Merrimack (4-1, 3-1 NE-10) | New Haven (1-1, 1-1 NE-10)
Location: Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center | West Haven, Conn.
What They Said
Head coach Aaron Bergeron: “Today was a nice way to bounce back after a tough battle yesterday. We’ve got a lot to work on, but I’m happy with the focus that we brought down to New Haven today.”
How It Happened
After losing two of three doubles matches on Friday, Merrimack did not drop any of the three contests on Saturday. Senior Chealsey Giatrelis (Centerville, Mass.) and junior Grace Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) made quick work of their opposition, 8-2, after a marathon doubles contest yesterday.
Freshmen Lauren Persson (Barnstable, Mass.) and Mana Seifaei (North York, Ontario) paired together for the first time in 2015 and came away with an 8-2 win at No. 2. Sophomore Mackenzie Blair (Thomaston, Conn.) and freshman Celine Mende (Shrewsbury, Mass.) debuted at No. 3, winning 8-1. Mende returned to the lineup after not playing against Adelphi on Friday.
The Navy and Gold won three of the six singles contests without dropping a game, including at No. 1, 2 and 4. Messina now owns at 27-game conference singles winning streak to begin her career. Mende won at No. 6, 6-1 and 6-0, to improve her singles record to 4-0 through her first four matches.
Persson and Seifaei won at No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, rebounding well after their first career losses against the Panthers.
1. Grace Messina/Chealsey Giatrelis (MER) def. Alexandra Sharshakov / Ashley Varrone (UNH) 8-2
2. Mana Seifaei /Lauren Persson (MER) def. Kristen McCormick / Angelica Pecci (UNH) 8-2
3. Celine Mende/Mackenzie Blair (MER) def. Caitlyn Burridge / Lauryn Burridge (UNH) 8-1
1. Grace Messina (MER) def. Alexandra Sharshakov (UNH) 6-0, 6-0
2. Chealsey Giatrelis (MER) def. Kristen McCormick (UNH) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lauren Persson (MER) def. Ashley Varrone (UNH) 6-0, 6-1
4. Mana Seifaei (MER) def. Caitlyn Burridge (UNH) 6-0, 6-0
5. Mackenzie Blair (MER) def. Angelica Pecci (UNH) 6-2, 6-1
6. Celine Mende (MER) def. Lauryn Burridge (UNH) 6-1, 6-0
Merrimack returns home for a conference match against Stonehill, the preseason favorites and a rematch of last year’s NE-10 Final, on Tuesday at 2 p.m.