MIDDLETON, MASS. – The Merrimack College women’s tennis team benefitted from two victories due to defaults and sophomore Grace Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) won at No. 1 doubles and singles, as the Warriors captured a 6-3 win over the University of District Columbia from the Northeast Tennis Center on Sunday.
Score: Merrimack 6 | UDC 3
Records: Merrimack (13-8) | UDC (7-6)
Location: Northeast Tennis Center | Middleton, Mass.
How It Happened
The Warriors returned for their trip through Florida with their eyes set on improving their regional ranking against the Firebirds out of the East Coast Confernece.
Doubles play began well for the Navy and Gold, as Messina and Chealsey Giatrelis (Centerville, Mass.) dispatched their opponents by a score of 8-4. The Navy and Gold won at No. 3 by default, but the Warriors were not able to complete the doubles sweep as the Warriors duo of Shakee Messina(Caracas, Venezuela) and Rachel Muller (North Andover, Mass.) lost at No. 2
At No. 6 singles, Merrimack also won by default. The Warriors also took victories at No. 1, 3 and 5 singles as the Messina sisters secured wins over their opponents, while freshman Mackenzie Blair (Thomaston, Conn.) won in the finals single match, 9-7, in a back-and-forth one-set match.
1. Grace Messina/Chealsey Giatrelis (MER) def. Maxime Duijst/Laura Dimante (UDC) 8-4
2. Alicia Gallard/Peerada Looareesuwan (UDC) def. Rachel Muller/Shakee Messina (MER) 6-8
3. Danielle Dunn/Mackenzie Blair (MER) def. N/A (UDC) by default
1. Grace Messina (MER) def. Maxime Duijst (UDC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Peerada Looareesuwan (UDC) def. Chealsey Giatrelis (MER) 6-1, 4-6, 6-7 (4)
3. Shakee Messina (MER) def. Laura Dimante (UDC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Alicia Gallard (UDC) def. Danielle Dunn (MER) 1-6, 4-6
5. Mackenzie Blair (MER) def. Laura Rojas (UDC) 9-7
6. Rachel Muller (MER) def. N/A (UDC) by default
The Warriors are set to travel to Concordia on Saturday for a 1 p.m. start in Brookville, N.Y. The Clippers are one of the top teams in the East Region.