NEW LONDON, N.H. – The Merrimack College women’s tennis team defeated Colby-Sawyer, 8-1, on Sunday afternoon in the second game of back-to-back matches to improve to 2-0 in 2015.
Links: Box Score
Score: Merrimack 8 | Colby-Sawyer 1
Records: Merrimack (2-0, 1-0 NE-10) | Colby-Sawyer (2-1, 0-0 NEAC)
Location: Kelsey Courts | New London, N.H.
How It Happened
Merrimack travelled on the road for the second straight day, playing in its first non-conference match of the season against the Chargers of Colby-Sawyer.
Captains Grace Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and Chealsey Giatrelis (Centerville, Mass.) defeated their opposition at No. 1 doubles, 8-3, to open the match. The freshmen pairing of Celine Mende (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and Mana Seifaei (North York, Ontario) improved to 2-0 as a duo with an 8-4 win at No. 3.
In a back-and-forth match at No. 2, sophomore Mackenzie Blair (Thomaston, Conn.) and freshman Lauren Persson (Barnstable, Mass.) fell in a tiebreak, 7-5, to give the Chargers a point and make it 2-1 entering singles play.
The Navy and Gold swept the Chargers in singles to prevail by a seven-point margin. Outside of No. 2, Merrimack won in straight sets in the other five matches. Messina downed her opponent at No. 1, 6-0 and 6-2, while Mende, Seifaei and Persson all improved their singles records to 2-0 with straight-set victories. Blair prevailed at No. 5, 6-4 and 6-0, to win her second singles match in as many days.
1. Grace Messina/Chealsey Giatrelis (MER) def. Ashlyn Ramsay / Ashley Woodside (CSC) 8-3
2. Aislinn O’Connor/Evelyn Miller (CSC) def. Mackenzie Blair/Lauren Persson (MER) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Celine Mende/Mana Seifaei (MER) def. Lauren Blanchard / Maddy Gemerek CSC) 8-4
1. Grace Messina (MER) def. Ashlyn Ramsay (CSC) 6-0, 6-2
2. Chealsey Giatrelis (MER) def. Ashley Woodside (CSC) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
3. Lauren Persson (MER) def. Aislinn O’Connor (CSC) 6-1, 6-4
4. Mana Seifaei (MER) def. Evelyn Miller (CSC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Mackenzie Blair (MER) def. Maddy Gemerek (CSC) 6-4, 6-0
6. Celine Mende (MER) def. Lauren Blanchard (CSC) 6-0, 6-4
The Warriors return to conference play on Wednesday afternoon for their home opener when they welcome Franklin Pierce to North Andover High School for a 3 p.m. match.